Friday, February 5, 2010

My Dream in the Year of the Tiger

I’m sure that on each New Year’s Day everyone will set their resolutions to achieve and dream(s) to fulfil. Whether it is achievable or not, that will be answered by end of the year. However, no one can be deprived from dreaming or living their dream.


I always like to challenge myself in doing something that I like to do. Marathon running had always been my least favoured running event, as it requires a lot of effort to prepare and to run the race. Hey, it's no joke, 42.195km in distance. OK, maybe the ultra runners will laugh at this, but it is tough. In the past I have managed to do the distance twice. Both times in KL and both times, I had bad cramps but managed to finish the distance. Actually, I did the distance 3 times. Well, the first one didn't count. I did it way back in my teenage years, where I was a little "gung-ho" and signed up for the event without even preparing for it. That turned out badly, as I had to take the ambulance back with major cramps on my legs and couldn't move for an hour. Those kind of setbacks, really got me thinking in taking part in another one!

Last year, I spent 3 months in Melbourne, Australia. Although financially tight, I did managed to keep my expenses down and of course, having relatives living in the city was a huge help by providing me shelter for FREE!! I took part in the Melbourne Marathon (my 4th marathon) and enjoyed my run in the cool weather in Melbourne! Surprisingly, I was able to set my personal best time despite the lack of training. I still suffered cramps but I think more positively about marathon running that i was before. I wish I had train harder for that event but the time achieved was something to be proud of. 


Cool weather does help in marathon running. Runners so used to the humidity in Malaysia will find that running in the cooler weather, meant you'll sweat less. You'll probably last longer in the run. A country rich in sporting culture will also provide you with a setting in achieving your best. I can't even get into the Top 500 in the event. But it was worth taking part in it, I was able to meet and run with the people who shares the same passion in running. And they come from different walks of life. They could be a retiree, the IT people, the housewife and many more.


So what am I saying here? Well, I've always wanted to do a sub-3 hour marathon one day (the sooner the better. Am not getting any younger!) and also taking part in one of the bigger marathon stage in the world, especially in the US or Europe, i.e. tens of thousand runners lining up at the starting line and festival or carnival-like event. But one thing I can be sure of, I don't think I want to do another marathon in a hot and humid country. Can't stand the heat. Therefore, my dream is to train hard for the marathon, find a big marathon race to compete in and come back with a wide smile on my face!
Ok. That's not me, but you catch my drift. So, Santa, God of Wealth, and etc, make my wish come true in the year of the.....

Ok..ok...maybe not this Tiger.....

This one's more like it.....

9 comments:

RunWitMe said...

Hey! Not going Putrajaya? Good luck!

jue said...

you joining us in the Tiger run also? good . . .. lets do it!!!

Khoo Yit Kiat said...

Eerr..registered for Putrajaya. But Kelvin Ng told me about this run, and I'm just sending in my apps. No harm trying out.

RunWitMe said...

CONGRATS for winning RM8888 worth of dream! Woo HOO!

jue said...

Congrats kau2 lat for winning the 8,888 dream that has come true. enjoy it kau lat lat oso.

Khoo Yit Kiat said...

Hey thanks guy! My friend just told me the guy who won it is his friend and he has already updated his blog couple hours back. That quick! Haha! and I dont know who I add in my twitter I just registered. Hopefully those receiving it dont get a shock!

Anonymous said...

Keong Hee..bro..cinya !

22

cRAzYtoMatOmaN-D said...

Woi! your 8888 dreams include me or not? hahaha!

Well done!

Kris Law said...

Your dream came TRUE! So lucky. :-)