Tuesday, January 3, 2012

Dutamas Runners Handicap Race Series - Race 1

Dutamas Runners had their first organised (well a little unorganised) race in the morning of the New Year's Eve. Although fun by nature it was just as competitive. I brought in the concept of a handicap race as I've experience it first hand both in NZ & Australia. So how does this handicap race works?

Firstly, we compiled best current timing of each runner in certain distance, say a 10-k timing based on trust. From there, I'll work out their estimated finishing time for 8.6k (4 loops around Desa Park City). Then, I will decide on their handicap with the slowest runner to start first and the fastest, last. Basically everyone would ideally be on a level playing field if they had given me a "fair timing" for themselves. However, it can be difficult counting in the factors, i.e. their current training, on the day fitness, etc. It's hard to estimate an appropriate timing for everyone when you don't much database on each of the runners.
As I want it to be a regular race for the group, I will keep the records of each runs and hopefully come out with better rules & regulations to make this event fairer for everyone. I am starting to think that races in KL of late is charging a little to expensive. Gone were the days where you are charged RM10 and race. Therefore, organising a handicap race like this without the emphasis on medals nor running vest, can just be as competitive and fun.

I wish I was running myself on the day but someone had to be the official, photographer, water boy, so I volunteered myself to do it, so that everyone else can take part in it. I apologise to those runners who had to pour their own drinks at the water station. Hey, I only got two hands mar.....

Anyway, here are the results for the handicap race:


As you may be confused by the results table, the position ranking column is the actual finishing position of each runner. However, due to the handicap, the faster runner (as per timing ranking column) will not be the winner of the race. Fendy won the race by the smallest of margin when he managed to pipped Kenny about 100m from the finishing line. It was such a close race. Had Kenny knew Fendy was coming from behind, the race to the finish could have turned out to be an all out sprint! The faster runners were huffing & puffing trying to chase down the runners in front of them and of course those who started out earlier were really determined not to be overtaken. So well done to everyone who has taken part!

Prizes were in wide range from toilet detergent to Tesco vouchers. There were even lucky draw prizes given out, courtesy from Ray aka Tomatoman & me as well. Nothing much to the lucky draw, as some items were sponsored item from previous runs, nevertheless there were meant to be given out for fun in nature.

Thanks to Yvonne for her contribution in one of the best medals ever (and you don't have to pay RM60 for it!). Also, thanks to Yin who came out not just to support her mum running but being the 'official' event photographer....

Before flag-off for the first runner...


Setting up DVD stall....I meant drinking station...hehe....


The first runner flagging off....Kenny (he looks like he's going for a bull fight!)


The four musketeers starting together....


3 sepuluh ringgit....


The eventual winner Fendy getting ready for his start...


The two fastest runners Melvin & Wong getting their final countdown....


Kenny giving a big thumbs up for the event...


Runners quenching their thirst....



Oh...they need to mark their own cups!


This is how you should finish your race....in style....



The top 5 prizes and medals....wait...are those cookies? It is both...cookie medals!


SH with all smiles...motivation for all...


Andrew getting his medal...


Azam just happy to be out running...


Now you see it....

Wong receiving his medal from Datuk Bin...


Chae Yin proud of her effort.....


Oh....how sweet....Datuk Bin presenting the medal to his wifey...sob sob...


This guy cannot tahan to eat his medal liaw...even plastic also want to eat!


The Top 5...

Melvin giving a tutorial...This is how you wash the toilet bowl...


Yloon....Nescafe kopi kaseh kau sikit...


This is going to smell good in my room....


Kenny....Milo Ais Satu....


The winner....Fendy Ahmad...RM50 Tesco Voucher..don't forget us when you go shopping!


The lucky draw prizes....


And someone thought that this was the top lucky draw prize...Honda cub....


Looking forward to the next Handicap Series!

2 comments:

francis said...

What a Splendid and fun way to race! I think in essence it eliminates the feeling of being left at the back of the pack, often the case in most training group. I think I will start that also either in Penang or in Seremban.
Thanks for the idea!

Datuk Bin said...

Kudos on job well done Cappy Khoo. Looking fwd to being invited back as VIP for your next handicap run!